In Chapter 5 “A Family Practitioner” Dr. Carrie Hunter says “Primary care is one third psychiatry. It’s counseling as well as technical knowledge.” In your experience as a patient, caregiver, or as an observer, do you agree with this statement as it relates to a family practitioner?
Write an original response of 250 words and make sure to support your comments for your main post with at least two scholarly sources (your textbook can be one of them). For original threads and replies, use current APA style citations in-text and for references at the end. You must respond to at least two of your classmates with 75-word responses.
Choose one of the topics for your initial post:
1. Compare and contrast American and global health? As Americans, why is it important that we “pay attention” to global health issues, i.e., outbreaks?
2. Why is the U.S. healthcare system so complicated when compared to other countries? Please include specific examples.
3. What is the real and perceived performance of the US health care system? Are the views different among patients, providers, payers, policy makers? Why or why not?
responses should be no less than 250 words in length not including your reference(s) and supported by at least two references.
State Health Departments
Look up your state’s health department by accessing their website (Maryland). You may also access the ASTHO website: http://www.astho.org/default.aspx for information.
Describe the structure, general functions, specific services, resources, and other important features of your state’s health department.
responses should be no less than 200 words in length not including your reference(s) and supported by at least two references.
Use the image in “Discussion Question Resource: Chest X-Ray” to answer the following Critical Thinking Questions.
Examine the x-ray of a patient diagnosed with pneumonia due to infection with Mucor. Refer to the “Module 4 DQ Chest Xray” resource in order to complete the following questions.
Critical Thinking Questions
1. Explain what Mucor is and how a patient is likely to become infected with Mucor. Describe the pathophysiologic progression of the infection into pneumonia and at least two medical/nursing interventions that would be helpful in treating the patient.
2. Examine the laboratory blood test results and arterial blood gases provided in “Discussion Question Resource: Laboratory Blood Test Results.” What laboratory values are considered abnormal? Explain each abnormality and discuss the probable causes from a pathophysiologic perspective.